Monday, August 15, 2011

We die rich with lovers and tribes...

  The English Patient
Katherine: The fire is gone, and I'm horribly cold. I really should drag myself outside but then there'd be the sun. I'm afraid I waste the light on the paintings, not writing these words. We die. We die rich with lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we've entered and swum up like rivers. Fears we've hidden in - like this wretched cave. I want all this marked on my body. Where the real countries are. Not boundaries drawn on maps with the names of powerful men. I know you'll come carry me out to the Palace of Winds. That's what I've wanted: to walk in such a place with you. With friends, on an earth without maps. The lamp has gone out and I'm writing in the darkness.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Greetings Mary,

I hope you are well and that the summer temperatures in your part of the world haven't been too blistering hot for you this month. Here it feels like summer is almost over. Mornings are fresh, heavily scented of the forest - which I love! (Saw the appearance of new 'powdered-sugar' snow on our mountaintops a couple days ago, which thankfully, melted - sigh- it's just a bit too soon for summer to be over - I just put away my shovel not that long ago! :)

Oh...The English Patient...I had to comment on this 'musing'! I loved this book and the film! Especially, love this...
"That's what I've wanted: to walk in such a place with you. With friends, on an earth without maps."

(It reminds me of my belief that there can be no boundaries surrounding true love and friendship. Ah, yes, I admit it...I am a real, 'closet' romantic at heart...:)

Anyway, thanks so much for refreshing my fond memories of this book/film! And, I know you mentioned that August is your birthday month - so, please accept my warmest regards to you on your birthday!

Featured Post

Mary Oliver

Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?