Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I have been giving thought....


I have been giving thought, Lord
-- you have a minute? - to getting old.
Natural enough, as the years pass.
DO the years pass more quickly, Lord?
Whatever happened to those longer
years we used to have?
Did you discontinue them? To speed up
the process, sort of? To replace us faster?
Hoping for improvement in the product?
Understandable.

However, getting old. Subject for today
- and I'm not talking about staying young.
Indeed not; I was young one and
wasn't mad on it. But to continue.
Getting old, a fellow said, is all in the mnd.
True. It's also inclined to get into the joints,
the digestion, and the poor old feet.
Spectacles appear, then a second pair.
Certain powers wane. Expected; allowed for.
But the fellow's right, or nearly right.

Now, Lord. To the point.
What if the mind gets stiff in the joints?
Where are you then?

What if the mind goes lame, needs two
pairs of specs?
Then it would seem, a person's got trouble.
I mean, if the mind is in charge, and
starts taking days off; loses grip.
Where are you then?
Seems it's time for a person to shut the office.

So, Lord, please, keep me young in the mind.
Let me enjoy, Lord, let me enjoy.
If creaky I must be, and many-spectacled,
And morning-stiff and food-careful,
If trembly-handed and slow-moving and
breath-short and head-noddy,
I won't complain. Not a word.
If, with your help, dear Friend, there
will dwell in this ancient monument,
A Young Mind. Please, Lord?

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

After reading these 'musings', I felt compelled to write to you. I hope you don't mind. Your words are very thought-provoking! (Lovely photo too!)

I do not know you; however, I feel I do know a little bit about you - thanks to Murphsplace. And, well, from what I've read, I believe that you are a remarkable person! Moreover, you have one of the most 'youthful, active' minds compared to many people I know.

On a personal note, I volunteer with an adults' group (having different forms/varying degrees of dementia) at our local hospital. (This, by the way, has been and continues to be one of the most fulfilling experiences I've ever had in many ways.) From these experiences, I have become very aware of what it can be like to not just 'lose the youthfulness of mind', but, to lose one's memory and personality completely...As a result, I have a strong appreciation and thankfulness for the mind I have; although, it's been pointed out that I do experience short-term memory loss occasionally! :) In any case, I just wanted to write and thank you for sharing your words!

On an entirely different note, I also wanted to let you know that I really like your 'shelfari'. In fact, I am currently reading Pete Hamill's 'Tabloid City'. In addition, just seeing Erik Larsen's new book on your shelf brought to mind a book my daughter read last year - 'Hanna's Suitcase' by Karen Levine...a touching, inspiring and educational book that I would recommend all pre-teen/youth should read. (Actually, I believe that everyone should read this book.)

Well, thanks again for sharing your insightful thoughts, Mary!

Featured Post

Mary Oliver

Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?